Work for us
Personal Assistant: HOD Programmes DURATION: 12 months Fixed contract
Nal’ibali (isiXhosa for “here’s the story”) is a national reading-for-enjoyment campaign. It seeks to spark and embed a culture of reading across South Africa, so that reading, writing, and sharing stories – in all South African languages – is part of everyday life. Children who are surrounded by print and immersed in great and well-told stories – in languages they understand – are more curious, confident and motivated to learn. They develop vocabulary, strengthen memory, and nurture imagination. They’re more likely to become readers themselves, and to do well in school across all subjects. Since 2012, Nal’ibali has worked with state, civil society and business partners to make sure every South African child has opportunities to fall in love with books and stories. This includes founding partners DGMT, PRAESA (the Project for the Study of Alternative Education in South Africa) and Tiso Blackstar (formerly Times Media). Through advocacy, training, and high-quality reading material, Nal’ibali is helping to nurture a reading nation.
This position is based in Johannesburg, Gauteng.
We are looking for an experienced personal assistant (PA) to work closely HOD for Programmes to provide administrative support and ensure best use of time by dealing with secretarial and administrative tasks.
• Arrange travel, accommodation and general logistical support.
• screen phone calls, email enquiries, requests, and handle them when appropriate.
• Act as a point of contact at all times particularly in HOD’s absence, including meeting attendance as and when required and appropriate.
• Organise and maintain electronic diaries for HOD and department, including managing scheduled appointments with partners and internal staff.
• Handle correspondence on behalf of HOD.
• Handle electronic filing/publishing of signed off documents;
• Carry out background research and present findings around various tasks;
• Produce documents, reports and presentations as guided by HOD;
• Attend HOD (with programme managers) status meetings (or use recordings) with managers to take minutes and manage the ongoing tracking of action points;
• Conduct follow up conversations with internal staff and partners on outstanding matter needing attention as guided by HOD;
• Coordinate, collate and compile programme manager’s monthly reports, plans and requests in time for sign-off;
• Arrange and prepare any paper-work due for signing, coding and approval;
• organise meetings and ensure that the HOD is well prepared for meetings;
• liaise with partners, suppliers and internal staff as directed by HOD;
• General administrative support to programme managers as guided by HOD;
- Independent and driven self-starter, able to work proactively and independently.
- Focused, efficient person, able to meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment, with strong time management skills.
- Strong planning, decision making and problem-solving skills.
- A team player, with well-developed interpersonal and communication skills.
- Focused, efficient person, able to meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment and multi-task without compromising quality of delivery.
- Able to work well across departments and with a geographically-dispersed, diverse team.
- Competency in at least one other South African language is an asset.
- 2-3 years’ experience in administrative work
- Above average computer skills
- Valid driver’s license.
Should you meet the above requirements, please email your motivational letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and surname, position title on the subject line, (e.g. Joe Soap: Personal Assistant-Programmes).