Work for us
Literacy Mentor (1 Year Fixed Term Contract)
Nal’ibali (isiXhosa for “here’s the story”) is a national reading-for-enjoyment campaign. It seeks to spark and embed a culture of reading across South Africa, so that reading, writing, and sharing stories – in all South African languages – is part of everyday life. Children who are surrounded by print and immersed in great and well-told stories – in languages they understand – are more curious, confident and motivated to learn. They develop vocabulary, strengthen memory, and nurture imagination. They’re more likely to become readers themselves, and to do well in school across all subjects. Since 2012, Nal’ibali has worked with state, civil society and business partners to make sure every South African child has opportunities to fall in love with books and stories. This includes founding partners DGMT, PRAESA (the Project for the Study of Alternative Education in South Africa) and Tiso Blackstar (formerly Times Media). Through advocacy, training, and high-quality reading material, Nal’ibali is helping to nurture a reading nation.
We are looking for a motivated individual with a passion for literacy to grow a culture of reading in the communities of Danielskuil and Postmasburg (Northern Cape).
A Nal’ibali Literacy Mentor is focused on inspiring communities to participate in the reading-for-enjoyment campaign by identifying potential opportunities and resources to establish reading clubs and raising awareness through a variety of activities and events.
• arranging and attending stakeholder meetings,
• ongoing partner/stakeholder liaison
• Mobilize community involvement
• Promote brand awareness at provincial level
• supporting and mentoring Story Sparkers and volunteers,
• providing and distributing reading materials,
• identifying training needs
• facilitating training sessions,
• Monitoring Evaluation and Reporting (ME&R)
• At least 2 years’ community work experience.
• Relevant tertiary qualification in education or social development advantageous
• Strong Written and verbal skills in English, Setswana and Afrikaans essential
• Computer literacy (MS Office + Excel)
• A Proven interest and enthusiasm for literacy development and/or education.
• Driver’s license essential
• Passion and energy to improve children's lives
If you are interested, please send your CV and motivational cover letter highlighting why you would make a fantastic Literacy Mentor for Danielskuil and Postmasburg in Nothern Cape to email@example.com
For further information please have a look at our website www.nalibali.org